Here’s what you missed while you were busy talking about Game of Thrones…the latest news at the start of what looks to be a very interesting couple of weeks….
– Ryan Smyth requests a trade, wants to go back to Edmonton.
– Ryan Smyth denies he requested a trade to go back to Edmonton.
– Flyers are close to signing newly anointed franchise saviour, Ilya Bryzgalov. The big question is what will it cost them? Matt Carle looks like the likely option at the moment.
– Jammy Jagr wants to be a Penguin again.
– Lidstrom saves the Red Wings one last time by returning for a 20th season. He also ensures there will be a long talk about his place in the greatest defenceman category and is a long shot to equal Bobby Orr’s record for most Norris trophies.
– Neither Craig Mactavish, nor Craig Ramsay will be the first coach of the Winnipeg “Something-or-Others”.
– The Boston Bruins know how to party.
– Norm Macdonald continues to struggle to find a comedic home. Sorry Norm.